View Single Post
Old Feb 11th, 2019, 22:06   #52
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSB View Post
When I started driving, a Vauxhall senator was synonymous with one thing...

“Police”.

Usually unmarked, though often seen in full jam sandwich livery too, but always ready to tug a young tear-away and check his tyres for him... The police were it seems the only people buying senators in my neck of the woods. So, perhaps you were a member of Her Majesties finest?

I saw a Senator in Majorca last year, and even though it must be 2 decades (or more) since the police last used a Senator in the uk, I still instinctively checked my speed and tried to look innocent...
The 24v were good cars and very popular with the police forces. Every force and training college got a long term demonstrator from Vauxhall with the option to buy. There was a fatal accident in Lothians involving their demonstrator and my force wouldn't purchase ours. They were fast and handling was great. I bought a Police College car at auction and kept it for a few years. Loved the car. Sadly we continued to use the 4x4 Granadas, 2.8, which I truly disliked. Now collectors items. There is one runs about here but the guy doesn't really look after it and that is a shame.
The Volvo T5 overtook the Senators and then Omega and turned out to be a great police car. I couldn't believe the performance of them. I was overtaken by one and I wasn't sitting about in my Senator but I couldn't look at the T5.
My everyday patrol car was the BMW 525i, 24v. Good and reliable but not very comfy.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dibble For This Useful Post: