View Single Post
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 09:56   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
hi dave woud you do the auto oil change when the engine is hot or cold if its cold woud the rubbish/sediment have gone to the bottom of the sump overnight so woud come out better or when hot its moved rubbish round so that makes it come out better . just wondering which is best
The best time to do it Jim is when the gearbox oil is hot. Sounds like i'm splitting hairs there and to a point i am. The engine warms up quickler for many reasons, two obvious reasons are that is where the burning of fuel happens and it has a thermostat to help get it up to temperature and maintain it there.

Take the car for a run of 5-7 miles to get the transmission nice and warm and the fluid well circulated and then drain it. Be careful of the hot fluid though!

I like to decant the drain pan into an empty, clear container such as an old 5L screenwash or antifreeze tub.
That way i can put it to one side and let it settle and see what dirt falls to the bottom after.

It's also easier to see the true colour of the fluid, a good way is to dribble some fluid onto a plain white kitchen towel as this shows up any dirt held in suspension as well.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: