Thread: Engine: 70: - ACEA oil specs.
View Single Post
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 12:03   #1
100K+
Premier Member

Default ACEA oil specs.

I have just read an interesting thread on the V70 P3 forum about oil specs.
My 2004 AWD V70 Petrol covers about 3k/5k miles per year, with most journeys from 2miles to 20miles, and is serviced each July, by myself. Last year to try and counter what I perceived as a slightly increased oil consumption, I changed from Shell Helix Ultra A5/B5 5W-30 to Shell Helix Ultra A3/B3 5W-40. The thicker oil appears to have helped oil consumption which appears to have improved from approx. 1500-2000 miles/litre to 2000-2500 miles/litre.
The car does suffer from a very minor oil leak, but nothing on the drive, most of the loss coming out of the tailpipe after a period on the overrun - poss rings/valve oil seals/ through the turbo....a job for the future....

Since the oil was changed last year I have read that V70's ( usually diesels mind you) work much better with A5/B5 oil than other grades, which can cause problems and are not recommended.( a Volvo peculiarity??)

So my quandary is when I change the oil this July, do I revert back to the A5/B5 5w-30 and suffer increased oil consumption or continue to use the A3/B3 5W-40. ??? Due to the low annual mileage I'm tempted to sit pat....

Despite web searches I have been unable to find a A5/B5 5w-40 oil from any manufacturer that is fully synthetic.

Cheers

Bob.
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote