View Single Post
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 20:47   #51
bertrandls

Ok my mind is set...
I've done a looooooot of research so it's hard to sum it up but... considering I want to keep this car as long as I can (before switching to electric for sure) and considering the dealer is too expensive fo no reason (in my opinion) AND that I want to do some maintenance myself....
- Vida is essential for many many reasons, so I'll buy one probably already installed on a laptop because installing it seems tricky... but Vida won't allow the software update as I did hope... and most probably no Vida no maintenance by pros in some years at the dealer as some dealers (Ford for example) just throw them away after a while. I have the case here for a 1998 Ford Maverick... IMPOSSIBLE to find a way to read the codes... they just don't have the diag anymore... and I have phoned to Ford France... so... yes Vida is a must have!
- I will most probably flush the oil at a garage the first time to see the procedure done by a pro step by step... OR do it at home with some qualified help... either one...
- price of flushing is (roughly) 600 euros/US dollars done at the dealer or 300 at home with the Volvo products (Skandix shop).
- I've been confirmed that there is no filter in the transmission box and it is not advised to add one for flow pressure reasons
- I've learned that my car has already an auxiliary oil cooler so no need to add one to improve the life span of the oil/transmission
- I've learned from Volvo that flushing is highly recommended each and every 90.000 km that's 56.000 miles I guess
- I've learned that flushing is (that's my take on it) risky if you backward as I am but done by a pro... who takes the responsability of his work (in case of failure) and who shows the right equipment and the right oil, 17 liters of oil to make sure everything is pretty clean AND maybe with a good quality of additives to clean the system (Liqui Moly in my opinion)
- I've learned that draining the oil is probably the best way to go if you do it regularly (60.000/3=20.000 miles)
- I've learned that Scandix is a good provider and that Alain Stempfer (french and german speaking) is a nice, pro, reliable, forthcoming...
- I've learned that one can find reliable informations on internet but it takes time and patience... if you have to learned everything from scratch (it took me at least 2 weeks).
- I've learned that internet and Vida is a good source of infos but so are books... thiings with pages and black things all over them... ;-)
So now I am certainly not a pro but I know the risks and hows of flushing the transmission. So that was intersting...
Thanks for all of your help guys and if I can answer some questions, it will be my pleasure. Cheers!
bertrandls is offline   Reply With Quote