View Single Post
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 05:17   #1
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default 960 getting hot (still)

Well, it's better but it ain't right. My very low mileage 960 still gets worryingly hot when towing uphill at speed. The long hill up towards the A229 on the M2 westbound yesterday got me a bit warm but I was rising to nearly 70 mph.

Replicated on the A289 - my favourite test hill. A Bentley sitting at 67 mph was very surprised to see my Volvo and vardo up his chuff.

So, I've done thermostat and after flushing and backflushing made insufficient difference, replaced the rad (and internal ATF cooler). Autobox is also behaving better when towing now and using the "Sport mode" setting seems a good thing.

Nest stop has to be an auxiliary ATF cooler. Now, (a) where should I put it - I really do not fancy hanging it in front of the rad with cable ties? and (b) how big should it be? and (c) should I bypass the internal ATF cooler completely (to minimise heat getting from autobox into rad) or put it in series with the internal one (so getting most cooling for the autobox)? (c) if the latter, before or after the internal (I fancy before)?
940 Sport M90 estate, N reg 100k miles, ex Lovejoy.
960 Estate, N reg, 56k miles, blown up and sold.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote