Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Aug 2nd, 2020, 17:35   #1577
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
That is indeed strange, Alan.

Ordinarily, I don't subscribe to 'drumming up trade' theories. If any business wishes to remain in business, it is prudent not to alienate customers, and there is also the small matter of Trading Standards to consider.

Brake fluid is naturally hygroscopic and a biennial change is generally recommended. Having said that, and given that it was (allegedly) changed only 18 months ago and your nipples appear to not have recently been undone, I am inclined to agree with your conclusion (a).

Given that you have used the local garage for some years and presumably therefore have some degree of confidence in both their integrity and technical ability, I feel that your conclusion (b) is much less likely to be the case.

It may, of course, be much less sinister, and your brake fluid has indeed absorbed an excess of moisture, but both the time scale and the fact that only the master cylinder was affected weigh against that. The only other thing that I can think of is condensation due to rapid and extreme changes in temperature, but that is unlikely in the extreme.

If you would like a second opinion, I can recommend Carnetix in Melton Mowbray, if it is of any assistance. No connection other than as that of a satisfied customer, but please do mention my name if you should contact them.

Regards, John.
Thank you Dave and John both,

It is good advice to monitor for a while to see if it could possibly be a fault (perhaps as Dave says, with the master cylinder breather). I'll keep an eye on it and see if there is any perceptible change.

I really don't want to believe in any drumming up trade theories, and I'm happy to give both garages the benefit of doubt. If I had to pick a more likely culprit it would be Halfords (if I remember correctly they were doing a promotion on fluid changes and were really busy with other jobs when I collected the car - cynically I wonder whether they just undid the cap, topped up the reservoir and told me they had done it). I want to believe the local, family run independent garage is innocent - but next year I will test the fluid on the morn I take the Skoda for its annual service.

I'm happier about the situation now I know there might be another plausible explanation - even if that isn't what happened I'm content in the knowledge that it could have. So thank you both for your comments.

:-)

Alan
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: