View Single Post
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 11:26   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpenrose View Post
Thanks for your replies and help.

Interesting that lots of people regularly get the message, but it doesn't effect anything.

Bit annoying Volvo didn't sort this issue though. Its not a small battery, and the T3 is only a small engine, so disappointing it doesn't seem up to the job.

I will keep an eye on it for a while, and mention it when its serviced, and see what they say.

Can anyone recommend a code reader for the car?

Thanks
The battery is most probably fine , you need to understand that the charging system works in a different way on modern cars :
Once the battery gets to 80% charge it stops charging and only charges further on braking and when your foot is off the throttle hence it is unlikely to get to full charge unless you are around town all day .

During this period of inactivity volvo have old their dealers to recommend you charge the battery every TWO WEEKS to prevent the message you are getting ...

What you need to do is to charge your battery with a 10A capacity charger for as long as you can . 2 days ( 48 hours) should be enough to get it back to full capacity .. Then charge for half a day or so every 2 weeks whilst you are not driving it .