Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 12:38   #1580
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Even at 25mpg Alan, the lack of a PCP payment each month paying for a car that would never be owned would pay for a lot of petrol! To make the figures simple (but still reasonably realistic), a new car on PCP @ £400 pcm and 15000 miles pa @50mpg with fuel = £6/gall, total cost (excluding insurance, VED and anything else involved) is going to be in the region of £550 pcm. That's 25 galls/month @£6 plus the PCP of £400.

Now work it out on the RB - you own it outright for what would probably have been the PCP deposit, nobody is going to take it off you in a year, 2 years or 3 years time or if you lose your job and can't pay the PCP each month. Same mileage is 12 galls/month @ 25mpg so the fuel costs double to £300 pcm but i reckon it's still a saving of £250 pcm over "owning" a soulless Euroblob.

Factor in the lack of huge carbon footprint to make a new car to be sold via PCP and the RB is definitely a much greener solution. It's even the right colour...........

I am a bit confused though - when did a Webasto roof come into the equation?
Good point Dave - plus one might factor in saving another £25/month road tax from next April. The RB might make quite a good commuter if the distance wasn't too much :-)

Forget Webasco - that was just a mental block on my part (Webasco were the folding sunroofs popular back in the day I think) - I meant a black vinyl roof, that is all.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: