View Single Post
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 13:57   #1
highspiritz

Default Help! White smoke. No coolant loss. Clears after few miles

About 2 weeks on I am having white smoke on Start up. The smoke starts about 30 seconds into my journey. Then the white smoke comes out and fills the road pretty bad. Bad as in other drivers switch on their head lights and slow down behind me to keep their distance. The ones that overtake me try to flag me down or warn me of some danger.

The smoke used to clear in about a mile or 2 but last time I tried that it look much longer to clear out, but it did clear out. Now I am scared to try again.

I am not loosing any coolant. I am losing a bit of oil as in I need to top up the oil every 1000 or 2000 miles as I keep checking.

I had my oil cooler replaced about 3-4 months back at a local garage (not Volvo) as it had compromised and my coolant tank burst out with black oil one day. Could this be related to the replaced oil cooler or some bad mechanic doing a bad job when replacing the oil cooler?

I tried TEC 2000 in my diesel tank as advised my a mechanic to see if it helped. It did not help one bit.

I tried Wynns stop smoking and Wynns stop leak and again nothing helped.

Everyone I spoke to suspects condensation. Can condensation throw out white smoke like a cloud on acceleration enough to restrict views?
I mean 0 visibility at worst for a few seconds before it clears out.

I read on here that it could be a faulty injector leaking overnight. Can the injector keep leaking for couple of days even if I am not using the vehicle? If so then that explains why it took longer to burn off the white smoke after I left it for 2 days untouched.

I also read it could be the '0' rings on the oil cooler. The oil cooler itself was original from Volvo. So can I rule this out as it was replaced only a few months back. Could a mechanic that is not Volvo authorised make a mistake while installing it?

The fuel filter was also replaced for an OEM one about a year ago. Could that be contributing to the issue (white smoke) ?

When I had my Volvo XC90 taken into Volvo dealer for a diagnostics prior to the oil cooler going bust as I was experiencing engine cut offs (safety measure) and limp mode they had changed a couple of wires into the transistors.

Help if you can please.
highspiritz is offline   Reply With Quote