Thread: 240 General: - Fuses/Fuel Pump Relay
View Single Post
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 17:00   #1
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Default Fuses/Fuel Pump Relay

I've lost count of the times folks ask for location of fuel pump relay or indeed the fuses. I am sure most 'regulars' know, but for the benifit of those new to 240's I thought a few pics may assist.

Fuses: These are located in the passenger footwell just forward of the door pillar:

They have a plastic cover that removes by twisting a fixing (right at the bottom) through 90 degrees.

Volvo fitted ceramic bodied fuses as original spec. Many now will have aftermarket plastic bodied fuses. These can suffer from overheating & if they do can be the cause of a breakdown. Main suspect is the main fuel pump fuse (#6). This fuse in particular should be checked regularly & good practice is to replace it yearly regardless.
Good maintenance: Remove all fuses, clean up the terminals to remove any corrosion. Make sure the fuses are a tight fit for good contact. If needed gently close the gaps a little. A smear of vaseline may be used to keep them clean - there are proper electrical contact cleaners available too of course.
If yours (as did mine) has the plastic fuses, get a set of ceramic & fit them. Keep the plastics in your glove box as temp' back-up's

Fuel Pump Relay
This is located behind the glove box.
Open the box & you will see the 7 screws holding it in place around the outer edge. Simply remove all 7 screws & the box will pull out. You will see this behind:

And closer:

The fuel pump relay is the square one (lower right)(the round one you can see - upper left- is for the bulb failure warning system). In my case it is green, some are white. If you need to change, then go 'like for like' to be safe. Removal is easy. It is spring clipped into a holding bracket & plugged into to the wiring. So un-clip & un-plug.
Replacements are available from GSF & Eurocarparts for around £20, add a bit more for a Volvo one. As these are quite a common fail point, it is a good idea to keep a spare in your glove box
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/