View Single Post
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 12:52   #21
RaelG

So I've spent hours, literally hours trawling the internet, watching videos and reading forums and blogs and I'm at a bit of a loss now.

I've ordered myself a little switch in a rather desperate attempt to see if that makes any different to my little homemade reader. I know it shouldn't, but at this point I will try anything.

A few questions that would be great to get absolute clarity around, if anyone can chime in and provide knowledge...

1. Is the only way to read the faults on my 96 car via a homemade reader or is there a product I can buy? Mr Luxobarge has kindly offered to plug his reader in but if what I have learned it correct, then an OBDII reader will not work with my car anyway because despite having the port its a big fat porkie pie and doesn't actually have one.

2. If I buy a new lambda sensor and fit it, and assuming that was the reason the warning was on (I know in reality it could be one of a number of things but for this question let us assume it is), would the new item instantly clear the warning light or would it take a while? I am aware that the fault codes stored would not go away.

3. Is there a chance a local garage might be able to figure out how to pinpoint the issue with the car?

4. Having tried many, many things to get my reader to work, I am now of the belief that either the wire attached to port 3 of the plug that goes to the ECU is broken somewhere or that the ECU itself has had some sort of wobbly and is refusing any longer to spit out any codes. I have tried to figure out how I would test the former here, i.e. for sure text of the port 3 wire is connected properly but I don't know how to do this. Any suggestions?

For some extra info, the car seems to be running just fine. The idle does not hunt, it is fairly high (just over 1k) on cold start then after a while (maybe 5 or so mins at idle or a few miles driving) it settles to a low rev (counter suggest almost zero which I don't think can be right). Other than that it seems to drive fine engine-wise.

Thank you