Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 12:25   #1342
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
OR a group purchase by a number of enthusiasts living in reasonably close proximity (say 10 in a 10 mile radius (?)) might make it more cost-effective, given the limited use that that one person would presumably make of it.

You would only need one person with enough space to house it - the rest could pay him nominal 'rent' of a few beer tokens per year.

Told you I was a tight-wad! It comes of being a child of the fifties. Having seen my own mother agonise over spending the last half-crown in her purse at the end of the week on food for the table or coal for the fire, I'd be up for something like that - how about it chaps!

Regards, John.
An excellent idea John but my experience of life and things like this have come up with the following figures. Out of those interested, 1:10 will actually be interested enough to consider taking it to the next stage of investigating costs and potentially investing. Out of those, 1:3 will actually have everything in place (the interest, enthusiasm, funds, proximity to the proposed "guardian" etc) to actually commit.

Working those figures back, that means you'd need to find 300 people interested in saving money and changing their own tyres. Out of those 300, 30 will be interested enough to find out more and 10 of those will have everything in place to commit etc.

This was borne out by something on another forum, a group purchase of stainless exhaust manifolds for one particular model. The 1:10 was already eliminated and out of the 10-12 initial interests given, only 3 of us (including the one funding the group purchase) were able/willing to commit and that was with two of those taking two manifolds each.
The third person dropped out fairly soon after so we were down to two and then found the supplier wasn't willing to offer any discount for buying 6 which the person funding it all was prepared to buy , keep and then sell on later to those whose fortunes had once more improved.
As you can guess, it didn't happen!

I'm sure you know i'm not saying this to rain on your parade but the big problem, being realistic, is getting enough people interested in the concept to progress things.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: