View Single Post
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 16:27   #7
john493
Spannering since birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson54z View Post
ok thank you both. I guess the best is to get the oil from Volvo and then go to my garage to change it. i guess the best is to ask for a flush too? is that just a case of having to buy twice as much oil changing it and running it through a cycle and doing it again?

i guess if i get one near 80 - 100k get the cam belt and water pump done, is there anything else that i should do and account for when buying?

Do these need anything like what my bmw had, which is a swirl flap deletion i think i was. (done before i bought it) or are these okay if i drive 50 miles a day at decent rev's?

Thanks
On the D5 engine, you should not just change the water pump every time you change the belt like you would on a VW, these Volvo pumps last well. Only change the water pump if it's leaking or feels rough.
It is important to regularly change the aux belt and tensioner every 50k or so, these can fail and wreak havoc with the timing belt. If anything, the aux belt is more critical on the D5 than the cam belt.
Buy genuine Volvo parts at good prices from eBay seller "volvopartstrade"
There are swirl flaps in the cylinder head on euro 4 & euro 5 engines, these are mostly trouble-free, they don't fall apart like the BMW ones.
The years you are considering will have the TF80 6 speed auto 'box, keep the ATF clean by flush or drop & fill.
If you get a manual, it will probably have the M66 6 speed 'box, this is a strong unit although the clutch slave cylinder can leak, which means gearbox out.

Regular oil changes with 5.7 litres of OW30 A5B5 oil & Mann filter will keep the engine sweet.
(GS Addict)
john493 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john493 For This Useful Post: