View Single Post
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 21:52   #8
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson54z View Post
ok thank you both. I guess the best is to get the oil from Volvo and then go to my garage to change it. i guess the best is to ask for a flush too? is that just a case of having to buy twice as much oil changing it and running it through a cycle and doing it again?

i guess if i get one near 80 - 100k get the cam belt and water pump done, is there anything else that i should do and account for when buying?

Do these need anything like what my bmw had, which is a swirl flap deletion i think i was. (done before i bought it) or are these okay if i drive 50 miles a day at decent rev's?

Thanks
Some garages will do a flush, but some won't. Personally, I'm not a fan of flushing the whole transmission because there's a higher chance of old gunk/debris getting lodged inside the transmission. Simply doing a "drain & fill" or "sump dump" (Draining approx 3L of fluid & filling it up again) replaces part of the fluid, not all. However, if you do a few "sump dumps" or "drain & fills" over a period of time, you're technically replacing pretty much all the fluid in stages, as opposed to flushing the fluid all in one (Less likelihood of dislodging gunk/debris this way).

Many have had transmission flushes with no issues, but that's a risk that you take. The garage I bring my car to doesn't do flushing, they only use the sump dump method because I guess its less forceful in comparison to a full flush. There's no right or wrong way as such though, this is just a personal opinion. Make sure you use the correct transmission fluid too. Buying it from a Volvo dealership isn't a bad idea in that respect, but if you're doing a full flush & using a lot of fluid in one go, its pretty expensive to buy from a dealership. If doing a "sump dump" though, you only need to buy a 4L jug at a time, then buy another when you're renewing the fluid again etc. If works out the same more or less, but you're not spending a fair bit in one go buying all the fluid at once that way.

You can buy fluid online from brands like Mannol or Smith & Allen, which are usually far cheaper than a dealership. Its the spec of the fluid that matters, so buying from these brands is fine, so long as you buy the correct spec (Double check the spec your car needs with Volvo). The year of the vehicle you're considering will either take JWS3309 (If its a 2008), but any newer, it may require a different transmission fluid because Volvo changed the fluids used in newer models. Very important to check this, as you can't just use any old fluid in these vehicles... The spec is vital

In regards to things to look out for;

1. Timing belt replacement is 10 years or 108k (Whichever comes first). If there's no record of it being done, just replace it.

2. Replace the aux belt, a/c belt & the tensioner too (If there's no record of them being done before, as this is part of the 10 year/108k cambelt service). V70's have two belts, one is for the a/c & the other is for the alternator etc - It makes sense to replace both with the cambelt, as well as the tensioner. There's only one tensioner though, which is for the main aux belt. The a/c belt doesn't have a tensioner, its just a snug fit around the pulleys. If you do get the aux belt & tensioner changed, then keep record of it & do it again in another 5 years or 54k (Whichever comes first) - This is the recommended replacement interval. The aux belts are a common failure on these engines, which can cause serious damage. So, if there's no record, get these parts replaced (Tensioner, aux belt & a/c belt).

3. Only replace the water pump if its leaking or making noise. Generally, the water pumps are very good. If its running fine, leave it be.

4. Use genuine Volvo parts. Don't buy cheap aftermarket ones because you'll only be replacing them again.

5. Buy a vehicle with good history, ideally full. However, be careful because many assume that the parts above have been replaced because the car has "full history". The history generally only applies to servicing, so it may well have had an oil change every year, but the cam belt etc may have never been replaced. However, the vehicle may still be advertised as having full service history. Take your time, have a look through the paperwork (if any). A car that has been well looked after generally will have supporting evidence of work that has been done. If there isn't any, that doesn't necessarily mean its a bad car, but you have to be prepared to spend money for repairs/peace of mind because you don't actually know if anything has been done before.

V70's are great & the D5 engine is brilliant. Good luck car shopping.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jun 30th, 2020 at 22:08.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post: