View Single Post
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 23:42   #10
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson54z View Post
Hi, Thank you all, you have given me everything i think i need to look for a one, i m in no rush. As you hit upon with the water pump, i have a golf 1.9tdi estate, hence the water pump change, its on 180k original clutch so hopefully i can find one before this goes.....

I think ill not be too set on a manual, clutch fail or oil change both have a cost so doesn't make much difference - just hope i don't get another rebuild required (element of luck i guess). But will get the oil changed as soon as i get one if i do. Is the best thing to do a oil dump every 30k or so then instead maybe?

Thank you all for your time explaining what to look for and how to make it last - hopefully i pick a good one now

Thanks all.
Changing the transmission fluid isn't part of Volvo's service schedule, as its a "sealed for life" unit supposedly. I never take any heed of these statements because the fluid is bound to get dirty & be less effective over time, so it makes sense to change it. Why manufacturer's make these claims we'll never know, but loads seem to do it (Mercedes & BMW to name a few).

If you use the vehicle for towing, you'd probably want to change the transmission fluid via sump dump every 25k-30k max. If you aren't towing, you could leave it longer to say 40k-45k max. Its up to you how often you change it though, so there's no right or wrong as such because its not part of the manufacturer's service schedule. The intervals I've stated are what I've been advised by a garage I frequently use.

The way I see it is a transmission fluid change via sump dump every 25k-30k if towing, or 40k-45k if not is better than never changing it at all... The transmission will be getting some new fluid over a period of time. You'll probably only get approx 3L out of the transmission via sump dump, but it holds around 7L in total (This is because the rest of the fluid will be in the internals of the transmission that you simply can't drain by a sump dump). Yes, you could do a full transmission flush if you wanted to renew all the fluid in one go. Personally, I wouldn't recommend a full flush because its a bit like flushing an engine... There's a chance of dirt/debris getting dislodged & causing issues. I'd never flush an engine or transmission, but like I said before, some people do & have never had an issue. I just feel a sump dump is safer, but its up to you.

I'm not an expert, nor do I claim to be before anyone starts nit picking that they've flushed their transmission & never had issues. What you do to your car is your choice, I'm only offering my opinion that there's less likelihood of dirt etc getting dislodged in the transmission by changing the fluid via the sump dump method, as opposed to a full flush of the system.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jul 2nd, 2020 at 00:04.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post: