View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2020, 19:09   #20
thecaptain

Hey folks I know this is an old post but I'm hoping someone may be able to help.

I've also just started to get the whooshing noise from under the engine so thought I'd investigate. 2013 XC90.

I've taken the under tray off and had a good look around. All pipes (that are easy to access) and clamps appear to be secure and no cracks or holes etc. The only thing I noticed was that there was a reasonable amount of oil on the turbo to intercooler hard pipe and the connection to the resonator. This pipe also has one of the screw fixings closest to the resonator broken. The one towards the front of the engine is still in tact so it was still very secure.

I removed the hard pipe to check the seal in the resonator and this is where I'm a little confused. The connection between the hard pipe and resonator had a jubilee clamp with a screw through it. The screw went through the clamp, resonator plastic, seal and into the hard pipe. Is this normal???

The reason I ask is the seal has deteriorated and split a lot where the hole from the screw is. I'm hopeful this might be where the whooshing noise could be coming from but could be mistaken.

I haven't taken the whole resonator off yet as it looks pretty tricky. It is very solid however and looking up to the connection above it certainly doesn't appear to have a seal problem. Nothing is loose and no oil deposits at that end and certainly hasn't "blown off" as I've heard others seeing.

I've ordered new orange seals but wanted to make sure this screw was supposed to be there before I reassemble the whole thing and not fix the problem/destroy another seal.

I'm also open to some more ideas so feel free...

Finally I am a little concerned as I feel the noise is very noticeable/loud but the leak from the seal I mentioned above would be too small however I hope I'm wrong.
thecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote