View Single Post
Old Jan 15th, 2023, 23:23   #15
wynnj
Master Member

I too had this problem recently after I'd inadvertently overfilled after a service (car wasn't on level ground). Sucked out some oil and seems OK now. I still run all 3 of my D5s (1 Euro3 & 2 Euro 4s) with oil up to the full mark on the dipstick on the basis that the more oil there is, up to the full mark, the longer it will stay in spec and the cooler it will be.

My understanding from discussions going way back to when Volvo first introduced the Euro 4 D5 185 engine was that some cars had a problem with some of the diesel that gets injected into the exhaust stroke when its doing a DPF regen gets into the sump and raises the oil level, to say nothing of diluting the oil as well. Volvo's crude solution was to reduce the "recommended" level that the oil should be filled to. So far I've not had the problem of rising oil levels so I've stuck to the original max as indicated by the cross hatching on the dip stick.

P.S. Once the Engine System Service message is triggered you have to clear the DTCs; they won't clear on their own even if you fix the problem.
wynnj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wynnj For This Useful Post: