View Single Post
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 18:34   #25
Backpedal

Hello everyone,

Thought I'd tell you all about my experiences today with getting my Windscreen rebonded on a 2008 (58 plate) V70 T6.

I phoned Volvo head office a week ago to speak to them about the leaking front screen, armed with the knowledge that they *should* be fixing the faulty sealing under warranty/good will.

The person I spoke to at Volvo was very helpful and I didn't need to do any arm twisting to get them to suggest that the work should be carried out under warranty.

They got my local dealer (Bristol City Motors) to call me back and book me in.

There were two caveats. The windscreen needed to be an original with Volvo stamps on it and they made me very aware that it could crack when they remove it. I knew it was an original screen and accepted the risk.

Luckily I'd already spoke to my insurance company (Tesco) about this procedure and they were happy to replace the screen with my small windscreen excess should it break on removal.

Took the car in and by 10am they'd removed and unfortunately cracked the screen. I phoned my insurance company and they had a guy come out by 12 to fit a new one.

The screen was in by 1 and I was ready to drive home at 2 after the bonding agent had gone off.

Happy with the outcome but a few points I've learnt:

1 Check with insurance company first that they'll replace the screen if it cracks. Get it in writing.

2 If it does crack, the windscreen fitter person may not be super happy finishing a job someone else has started.

3 The rain sensor for the wipers is fragile and can break. Fortunately mine didn't. Factor this into the cost.

4 Volvo will and should do this job FOC so don't pay to have it done yourself if you have an original screen. I was getting quotes from £200 - £300 to remove, rebond and refit my screen with the risk of it cracking creating an additional cost.

Good luck!
Backpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Backpedal For This Useful Post: