Thread: Oil leak
View Single Post
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 22:10   #8
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazdkw View Post
Sounds really intrusive.

I think I will clean the area up with some brake cleaner and try and prove the swirl flap is actually operating or not
The swirl flaps only work at lower speeds and idle anyway... they also help with emissions. After 1,500rpm, they don't do anything. So in effect, they could be stuck open (which can happen) and you won't see much of a difference. Sometimes that little plastic arm falls off completely, then the flaps are either stuck open or stuck closed.

Its getting stuck in the closed position that causes problems like engine management lights, loss of power, lumpy idle and fuel economy drops.

I'd just give the area a clean and keep your eye on the oil level. Make sure its getting motorway drives too, above 50mph for around 20 minutes to clear the DPF out. If the oily mess comes back, its likely just an accumulation of carbon over the years that's turning to an oily mess with heat and spreading. The only way to repair that is by doing what I explained earlier, which is costly. I reckon nowadays that would be a £600 repair.

I wouldn't worry about it. You have no error codes on the dash and I assume the car is driving fine.

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 6th, 2024 at 22:15.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post: