Thread: XC40 Discounts
View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2019, 20:44   #16
Septercius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtillingVolvo View Post
.... so you're one of them!....

Just out of interest, did you consider placing the order with the dealership who openly offered the discount without you having to negotiate with them on Carwow, or was it always going to be a case of, I'll see what I can get online and then take it into my local dealer? - A lot of dealers (including us) on Carwow offer a free delivery to your door, so the distance isn't usually an issue....

I'm only interested as we spend a lot of time and resource at our end ensuring that we are competitive on Carwow/responding to quotes. We know a lot of what goes on out in the market and would love to be able to capture 100% of the customers we put offers out to but, in reality, also know that a good chunk of people take the offer we put forwards into their local dealer and ask them to match it too, which basically means all we've done is taken some of the negotiation part away from the sales process and given the dealer (your local one) a relatively easy sale....

Any feedback of the buying/thought process is always appreciated to get into the "mindset" of the customer
Unfortunately none of the dealers who Carwow listed for me with the XC40 were local, and I didn't want to have to travel to get them to assess my part exchange, drop off paperwork and the like, and I also like having a local number plate.

My dealer is in a small area where there are various other car dealers, so Volvo was just one of a number of places I visited on the same day to sit in the cars, take a test drive and try and make a decision. I could have saved a bit more money with a Carwow dealer, but as I was sitting in the showroom about 20 miles away from home, convenience won out. They were probably on the borderline of me saying "Sorry, not good enough. Thanks for your time" and leaving.

Having said that though, I'm not hugely impressed with the dealer so far. The salesperson was great on the day, but I've sent a few emails about winter tyre/wheel packages and after an initial response, they've not replied to any of my emails (either the salesperson or the person from parts). Neither have two of the other local dealers who I've emailed on the same topic (one didn't respond at all, and the other responded to my initial email but not the follow-up). Sadly I suspect the original dealer would respond negatively to any attempt on my part to cancel and get my deposit back.

Edit: another factor was that the day I ordered the car was the first time I'd seen the car close-up and in the flesh and the first time I'd sat in one and driven it. I didn't know before entering the showroom whether I wanted to buy that particular car. I must have spent between two and three hours test driving a XC40 and an XC60. This may sound a bit lame, but I personally think it would be a bit rude of me to turn around and say "Well, thanks for your time, I wasn't going to buy from you as I can get it cheaper elsewhere". I didn't want to drive for several hours (as opposed to 45 minutes) to a cheaper only to find I didn't like the car and had wasted my time.

Last edited by Septercius; May 2nd, 2019 at 21:02.
Septercius is offline   Reply With Quote