View Single Post
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 16:56   #18
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discombobulated View Post
Tannaton, could you please explain what a voltage spike is?

I’m not saying any vehicle will be harmed by having 14.6 volts through it, it’s the sudden difference in voltage that does the harm. Putting the headlights on can absorb some of this, and having the donor vehicle switched off will also help as the voltage in that battery would be ~12.6 volts when switched off rather than 14.6 when running.

I’m really not sure where you were taught your method of jump starting, but my method was from a breakdown assistance company called Mondial, they had breakdown contracts with Aston Martin, Mercedes, BMW, Bentley, JLR and others.

I have used my method to jump start a dead Nissan GTR from an Aston Martin DB9 that was parked at the side of it, both cars were in a customers garage with no access for my lorry and it worked fine.

I guess on here there’s no basic question, even when it something as simple as a jump start

Luke
Voltage Spike = A significant increase in measured voltage applied over a very short period of time (i.e. 10x the voltage for 10 nano seconds?).

Opposed to a voltage surge which would be a proportionately smaller increase in voltage over a long period of time (i.e. +10% for 3 seconds).
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote