View Single Post
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 17:36   #14
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMad View Post
Volvo is not a premium brand and never has been IMO!
Personally I don't think any mass produced car is "Premium".
I think if anything Volvo has lost some, if not all of its identity in recent years, simply because they are trying to be too much like all the others. They used to be considered by all to have bullet proof reliability, be massively practical and do exactly what it says on the tin. Now though, they are another European mass produced car that is having to offer the same as every other manufacturer to compete!
UK customers seem obsesed by labels, although in the case of cars this is changing. After all ther are some damn good offerings that are very well made, safe, reliable, good looking and practical, coming from the East.
The only thing that holds them back (with some people), is the badge!
Hi GMAD.

I agree.

Ive said this elsewhere before and been slated!!!

I consider Volvos business model to be flawed. They are trying to be premium (in the branding sense).Merc et al have this premium image due to ‘branding’ and the marketing gurus. Not necessarily is a Merc better built nor more reliable than an alternative make, its just that they can charge more for the ‘perceived image’. Two drivers pull up at a business meeting, one in a base BMW 3 series tourer ,the other in a Hyundai i40 tourer. Peoples perception is that the BMW driver is more successful.

And that’s the thing its all in the perception.

Volvo is however ‘premium’ in some respects. It feels a quality product. A quality product is a premium product. For example the window switches and the electric seat switches in a Volvo XC feel more substantial and ‘premium’ than they do in a Jaguar, although which car has the ‘premium’ tag. Yup its Jaguar.

That’s the thing. There is ‘premium’ and premium.

Apart from us here aficionados and enthusiast, most people would not see Volvo up there with BMW Merc Audi ,Jag etc, hence the reason why Volvo should not be playing in the premium market.

I do believe people perceive Volvo more premium than say Hyundai, which is why Volvo should remove themselves from the ‘premium brand race’, (which it will never ever conquer) distance itself from the ‘mass market Hyundai category’ and create a ‘niche’ slightly above Hyundai although below the likes of say Merc. This it is believed would lead to an increase in sales as people may move away from the ‘mass market Hyundai category’ to the ‘sub premium’ Volvo category ,although are not prepared to stretch to the costly ‘premium category’ such as Merc. They may be however prepared to pay say 2k more for a Volvo than a Hyundai to obtain this ‘image upgrade’ but not be prepared to pay 12k more when they can ‘pre buy’ the image for the same money from say Merc.

I know some would say they would never have a Hyundai , and I am only using Hyundai as I have experience of them ,although surely what sense is there in most peoples minds in paying say 32k for a Volvo when a similar vehicle in the ‘Hyundai category’ is around 20k and offers a similar driving experience, a superior purchase package, more equipment, and a more reliable vehicle.?

Therein the problem lies.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post: