View Single Post
Old Feb 1st, 2024, 21:20   #4
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salop Farmer View Post
I was wondering if any member has taken this route to more relaxed motoring in either their Amazon or PV. I understand an adapter kit is available for B18/20 engines. Think this may be in USA not sure about UK. I did spot on EBay a few months back that a Type 9 box and adaptor for a red block sold for good money. My 544 has the 4.56:1 ENV back axle - great for acceleration but awful for relaxed cruising at 70 mph. I know I could look for a late overdrive unit but these are getting very hard to find and expensive. Thanks in advance.
T5 conversions are more common in North America because of availability although the ratios in most of them do not really work out that well for a B18 / B20. I think the T5 was used in some small trucks and they might have better ratios.

The T9 might be more of a UK / Europe thing if you are looking for donors. The T9 was used on the Capri and Sierra (Merkur in NA) XR4 and not a lot of the XR4i s made it to North America. I think the final version of the Capri (which never ended up in North America) was the only one to receive the T9. In fact the UK is the hot-zone for the Mk III Capri so you are probably in the correct location to search for a donor.

The T9 always struck me as a better match for the B18 / B20. However, availability over here (and cost) is a problem. You will not find any T9s sitting in a scrap yard.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post: