Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 12:38   #1883
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
The RB's last required MoT certificate will run out today. I toyed with the idea of having it tested again, but then remembered this is the whole point of running an historic vehicle: no tax and MoT; so why would I pay £50 for a test the government says I don't need.

I took a smug pleasure in filling out the V112 declaring the RB exempt from the MoT this morn.

I couldn't find one of those little pictures to show how smug I feel, so here is a cool one:
I'm sure you know this already Alan but part of that declaration is that you then take responsibility for any defects found if you are involved in an accident or even a routine stop.
What happens now is if a defect is found you normally get a document to take to the MoT station after having it repaired and the station will stamp it and you send it back, job done.
Under the new "self-certification" you get reported immediately for the defect.
Knowing your mileage/use and how often you check things this shouldn't be a problem for you but i'd still suggest an MoT every 2-3 years just to cover yourself. Whether you'd have to fill V112 in again on expiry of the test i don't know for sure but i think it would be a good compromise to CYA and still gain the benefit of not getting a fresh MoT each year.

I couldn't find a smug one either but i reckon that one fits nicely!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: