Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 11:43   #1887
Othen
Premier Member

Default Prop shaft Bearing - Update

All has been quiet on the RB front for some weeks - which is really good news - nothing has gone wrong and I'm just enjoying driving the motor car.

It has taken an age to assemble what I think are the right parts to change the prop-shaft centre bearing and support. The first item I ordered was completely the wrong part, then the replacement rubber doughnut that arrived (although ostensibly the right part number), and the bearing that came with it were too large as well. Fortunately the both parts suppliers had good returns policies and were very helpful in identifying the correct parts - even though neither stocked them.

The issue is that Volvo used at least three (that I have discovered so far) different prop shafts on 240s back in the 70s and 80s, and there is no real way of telling which is fitted apart from getting underneath and disassembling (before anyone suggests it, I did try the Volvo dealers in Northants and Peterborough, both of which were completely unhelpful). So, having got underneath and disassembled I'm pretty sure I have the right bits now: a URO (pattern part) doughnut that seems far more sturdy than the Volvo one fitted (that may be an age thing) and a common or garden 6007-RS bearing that I got from a machine factor in Northampton for £4 (delivered).

I'd intended to get the swap done today before the rugby vs Italy this afternoon, but the heavens have opened so that will wait for another day. As soon as we get a reasonably good day I'll put the RB up on some ramps and post some pictures and words about how the job goes.

Best wishes,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Oct 31st, 2020 at 12:23. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: