View Single Post
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 23:45   #10
ClassicVolvoShop
Schrödinger's Cat Cph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf ista View Post
... I noticed that 2 of them had a band on the inside edge, the other 2 didnt....
Well - later in production (I believe arround 1968) the standard steel wheels where altered a tiny bit - a safety feature - the band on the inside is exactly a safety thing - it helps a flat tire stay on the rim/wheel instead of rolling off.

Quote:
.... he said they apparently did a rally in South America on some car....who knows...
In historic rally nowadays, the 4.5" wagon/estate wheels are very sort after, because they are the 0.5" wider AND of much heavier quality ( = stronger and do not wobble as much). In historic rally the 5.5" unoriginal wheels are NOT allowed, but standard OEM wheels are - therefore. (That might be the origin of the rally history you got?)

Quote:
... These four wheels all have the band and are labelled as 4.5". I thought these were standard saloon wheels, now it looks like I have a set of estate wheels. Is this right?
If they are 4.5" - you have either estate or 1800 series wheels - partnumber (stamped on the outside of the hub/center of the wheel) is 670451 for the estate wheels - 668280 for the 1800 series wheels.