View Single Post
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 19:40   #9
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana View Post
Interesting, so say the hub is clamped in the vice, you have a tube under the hub, supporting the face of the hub/bearing - then smack it from above?

When refitting - you use a socket (your homemade device) and tab back in with a hammer? No press?
Correct.
To make things easier I usually spray some WD 40 over the hub and bearing but tap it in with a hammer.

Similarly I change universal joints with a hammer, never dropped a needle yet, when I tried it in a vice dropped a needle and snapped it rendering the joint scrap.
Provided the fitting force is applied to the outer race of the bearing only how it is fitted is a bit of a mute point, hammer or press matters not.

Ford rear axle used to have the wheel bearing mounted on the half shaft and retained by an interference ring. I changed those by chiseling the ring off and leave ring the bearing off, refitting was by supporting the shaft on a solid block and using the tube of a porta power to hammer bearing and retaining ring on to the shaft until it rang, thus confirming it was properly seated.

The hammer is a much under rated tool.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote