Thread: OIl
View Single Post
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 11:09   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
Well maybe I shant defend you in the future...
Anyhoo, yes it may be an age old problem, not everyone is good at using the search function or knowing which thread is properly relevant, search functions always leave a lot to be desired too.
Thing is, theres a lot of people on here using the wrong oil, so why not help people.
By the sounds of it clan may have been servicing lots of peoples cars with the wrong oil, and he's generally a more trusted, learned member!
We're never too old to learn, and should never assume we know it all or that people are stupid for asking.

Imagine going to see the doctor and they said 'Ffs, will people stop coming to me with the same old bloody problems, can you not just use google for christ sake'
You've met my doctor then Andy?

Joking aside, i hadn't realised there were so many different grades of oil - perhaps grades isn't the right word here - to enable "modern" engines to achieve emissions values.
Reading between the lines, it would appear accelerated wear could result, even when using the correct oil because it's so thin. That obviously wouldn't be good for the engine or the emissions!

Given the technology we have these days, is it beyond the engineers at Volvo (and everywhere else) to design engines that still use 10W40? If they've designed an engine that is so critical as to whether the "right" oil is used to produce (or not) the correct level of emissions, i think they've got it wrong.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote