View Single Post
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 10:59   #127
CanAmSteve

Default Battery life

I just had my first service on my 2014 XC60 D4 (5Cyl) R-Design. This is the basic model without all the toys (no sat nav). I am away frequently so my cars have to stand on the drive unused. I've learned to use trickle chargers ( I use CTEKs) to maintain the batteries as almost all modern cars have so many parasitic drains. This XC60 is no different, but at least has a nice low-battery charge warning message.

Diesel engines take a lot of oomph to start and manufacturers don't waste a pence on fitting anything larger (i.e. more expensive and heavier) than necessary. So it's no surprise that after 10 days unused in cold weather the battery has lost its ability to start the car. Keep in mind that even one "deep discharge" can harm a battery permanently.

My recommendation is to use a charger when practical to keep the battery healthy. If you do need to leave the vehicle on its own for long periods and cannot arrange a trickle charger, I would first buy a new battery - the largest and best (AGM) that will fit in the space provided. I would then buy a plastic carry box for the old battery, charge it up (ventilated, observing safety precautions) and then keep it in the boot until I returned to the car, along with a pair of jumper leads. That way, you can boost yourself if necessary. The "old" battery should hold a decent charge as it's not hooked up to anything. The old battery is probably the sealed type, even if not AGM, but keep in mind it is both filled with acid and heavy, so make sure it is carried safely.

You might have some luck with solar chargers but even a large one is only about 0.5A output in full sun. Like we see the sun much in winter...
CanAmSteve is offline   Reply With Quote