View Single Post
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 13:41   #1
Rastiman

Default Which XC90 D5 and the Core Plug issue?

Hi All

I'm looking to purchase a 04 / 05 XC90, but am concerned as to what I may be letting myself in for!

I've read up on all the usual issues, angle gear and splines, engine mounts, core plug, intercooler etc, but I cant find a definitive guide as to which engine will be the least problematic.

A friend purchased an XC90 163 with a documented history last week which decided to pop its core plug on the way home as well as gunking up its intercooler with oil and road debris. The bill was rather horrific!

So, the 163 seems a good choice for short runs (which it will be used mainly for) as there is no DPF, but the core plug does scare me somewhat as I cant seem to find a car for sale via a used car dealer which has had this replaced previously (the GDPR has really messed up obtaining service invoice history).

Does anyone know if the 163 Euro IV has the revised core plug, or knows exactly which engine number upwards doesn't have this problem?

Also, what sort of cost would I be expecting to pay a garage to replace the plug, and are there any other seals that will need to be done whilst its in pieces? I've found an XC90 that had the spline shaft replaced 11 years ago / 70K miles with the uprated one, so I assume this will still be fine?

Thanks everyone!
Rastiman is offline   Reply With Quote