Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Sep 26th, 2020, 21:49   #1777
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Errr........ yeah................ what Alan said! ^^^^^

Purely as a point of interest or a side point, depending on level of interest, mine was a 3.6 Jag Sovereign Alan, on an F/1989 registration. One of the last 3.6s to come off the line i believe before they stretched it to the 4.0L version - both engines examples of the better straight 6 Jaguar fitted to the XJ40 and XJS (there was never an XK straight 6 in the XJS) but the/your bottom line is the RB is largely sorted and returning a consistent 25mpg - that's your known datum so anything consistently higher is a bonus (and cause to question your arithmetic maybe) and anything significantly lower, especially if it's worsening or remains low over a prolonged period is cause to investigate things.

I've just filled my beast up, taking into account a near-end of period top-up and the fact it was idling for ~1hr during the MoT test yesterday and overall, it averaged a smidge under 24mpg.
Knowing the previous tank averaged 20mpg on similar running except for a 130 mile round trip, i took the 130 off the miles i'd done, divided by 20 to get fuel used over the rest of the tankful and worked out during the 130 mile trip that i averaged a whisker under 29mpg at a cruise-controlled (indicated) 77mph and a GPS 70mph on what was mainly a dual carriageway trip.

The MoT did reveal something that points to the higher than average consumption, the CO was reading 1.88% so a bit on the high side.
After the test i got the tester to put the machine on manual and tweaked it down to 1.17% so that should help matters!
The Jag straight 6 was a beautiful thing for an engine Dave :-)

29MPG is excellent for a large car - you must have it just about sorted now.

I'll have to think of some reason to take the RB on a longer journey to see what it is like on a run. Bob and I are planning to visit some friends (including his best friend Bella) at Pentney (near King's Lynn) some time in October, that would be about a 130 mile round trip - mostly on the A47. Normally we would use the Skoda estate for that trip, but we might just use the RB this time just to try it out. It might be interesting to see what average consumption we get on a longer run - watch this space.

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: