View Single Post
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 17:04   #21
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Invisible front indicators.

One of my pet hates is front indicators that are housed within the headlamp unit and are often invisible when the vehicle in question has headlamps lit. In the olden days when the indicator was in a separate unit they were much more obvious. ( as on my 1992 940 and many vehicles of an older vintage.) IIRC the road vehicle lighting regs used to state that an indicator must be optically separate from any other light. That’s why the dual intensity pulsing white sidelight/indicator light on the front of the likes of Morris Minors and Triumph Heralds were changed. The modern indicators may technically be “optically” separate but they certainly don’t appear to be.
Interesting point that steadyvex makes about hazard lights. Some drivers keep their hazard lights lit whilst parked in a lay-by. Fair enough. When another vehicle is parked behind them then often only the offside indicator is visible. If I was approaching in lane 1 and noticed a lone vehicle in a lay-by with it’s offside indicator lit l would, if circumstances permitted, move across into lane 2 so that the vehicle could pull out of the lay-by. However, if that vehicle is masked by another vehicle and only the offside indicator is visible then that is not an option. If the pulsing indicators remained fully lit when in the hazard mode then it would be possible to know whether the vehicle in question was wishing to move out or simply parked. Utopia I know.

Last edited by Ian21401; Jun 24th, 2019 at 17:05. Reason: Amend text
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post: