View Single Post
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 08:03   #27
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I wonder why we buy cars with powerful engines, always looking for way more to get more performance then drive like Miss Daisy to improve the MPG - without doubt an oxymoron.

I’d we take an average mileage at 12000 and fuel at £1.25 per litre then the difference between 30 MPG and 40 MPG is only £10 per week and I am sure most people spend that in the pub (and often much more). Certainly at £3+ per pint it is easy to do.

Personally I have given up trying to coax the mpg to ever higher figures which killed what little fun driving has now and I simply drive to get to wherever I am going. If that is spirited and I get 45 mpg that’s a bonus, if I enjoy the drive and get 35 mpg so what?

If I wanted a high mpg then I would drive my wife’s Clio and get 50+ mpg but would be so bored upon arrival.
Perfectly good point.

But in my case it's not about squeezing the most miles out of a tank of fuel. It's more specifically that I've just changed my car and early indications were that it was nowhere near as efficient as I'd expect,this leading me to wonder if it's just because I happened to buy it when it's freezing out and I lost the fuel cap, or if I should start suspecting an engine fault.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote