View Single Post
Old Feb 1st, 2016, 02:50   #12
xco
Premier Member

Wink

[QUOTE=leenineplus;2046746]Just for information or wheel tyre help.

I went out in the snow last week and very disappointed with the XC60 AWD. I have never had a 4x4 before and thought this time it would help with the bad snow and winters I get being 1200ft above sea level. How wrong I was.

The grip is shi-e and skidding everywhere.

I have run winter tyres on cars for 15 years around here and never had a problem like I have in the Volvo. I always wondered why I overtook 4x4 cars going up hills, around corners and never struggled .....................

If you know your weather situation each winter and you have run vehicles for the past 15 years as you say why were you not already prepared with winter tyres on your volvo?
You cant blame the car if you dont shode it with the right wellies can you?

A good compromise is the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Tyre which I have run on for 18 months now and can recommend as being a superb tyre.....quiet, handles well in all weather (which I found out again on Friday just how good they are at emergency braking when some tit in front of me decided he was going to stop and park there and then at the road side having given no warning of his intention as another car was coming the other way) and the xl type I run on has virtually cancelled out body roll when cornering completely (unless you are an a##e and throw it into a corner down hill too fast ....lol).

I see pirelli scorpion rossos have been mentioned on this thread but they are summer tyres.
I had 2 of those on the front and 2 odd-uns on the back when I bought the car and I wasn't impressed at all, but I can assure you the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season is a completely different animal and I like it very much enough to recommend it to you.

I am running on 235/60/18 XLs.

Also with an all season tyre you dont have to worry about changing it each year.

My Mrs has a D5 185 C30 and we have that fitted with Goodyear Vector 4 Season Tyres which are also a superb tyre all year round (see youtube for these and you'll see what I mean), although its only fwd I know but....

She works nights and when she leaves work sometimes in the early morning there is still nasty greasy frost on the roads when she's coming home which I reckon is
worse than snow and ice for gaining traction. The all season tyre just gives her that little bit of edge and security over a normal tyre.
I'm in the hand's up camp for all season tyres.
Wherever you go............There you are!!!

Last edited by xco; Feb 1st, 2016 at 03:09.
xco is offline   Reply With Quote