Thread: S80: Electrical - That bonnet switch!
View Single Post
Old May 26th, 2018, 13:57   #13
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Well my XC70 is a perverse creature. When the bonnet switch seized and stopped working, leaving me with "Bonnet Open" warnings, I first sprayed it with WD40 High Performance Silicone Lubricant but that didn't make any difference. So then I contacted my local indie garage who are very accommodating and asked them if they could investigate the switch and confirm whether it was a separate unit or part of the right hand bonnet catch. In the meanwhile I put in the paperclip jumper workaround to stop the warnings and then wasn't very worried about how long it took for the garage to come back to me with any findings on the switch. I noticed that the car has also started to erratically display a "Alarm Servicing Required" warning. So after a couple of weeks I removed the jumper and reconnected the switch into circuit and when I closed the bonnet the bonnet open warning went away! WD40 Silicone has obviously very slowly found its way into the switch and freed it. However the alarm servicing warning still appears from time to time. The alarm on the other hand works as it should, as far as I can tell. I'm embarassed to tell the garage that I'd prefer to leave things alone for the time being and I'd like to use my VIDA/DiCE to investigate the alarm warning but I have yet to find the time to scramble my brains installing the software on my laptop. It has driven me mad and will probably continue to do so!