View Single Post
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 14:47   #4
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

This question lead me to reread a bunch of stuff regarding batteries.
As with all the other times, I didn't take notes because I don't need to. I just read until I got bored.

The AGM batteries' strongest feature appears to be a higher discharge rate for operating winches and large music systems whilst parked. Add to this resistance-to-vibration damage and you got THE battery for off-roaders and torturous, high speed boat racing.

AGMs don't "self-discharge" as much when not used. This is what makes them perfect for idle cars in a collection.

AGM's ability to be mounted upside-down from the boot lid is a feature few people use but it's mentioned all the time. Imagine that, obfuscation in a sales pitch.

The higher discharge rate (vis lead-acid batteries) means they can be smaller when used as "starting batteries". Unless you're installing a V8 in a 1960 Mini you have the room for a regular battery.

They are still highly vulnerable to overcharging. Keep this in mind if, in the course of human events, your battery is discharged by "leaving the lights on". Throwing Dad's old charger on it and going to bed will kill your premium AGM.

While I can't regurgitate all the technotes I've read, I do remember something about any charging system needing to be tailored to the specifics of an AGM; not too big a deal in our age of electronic sophistication. It's just that I don't believe you'll get what you pay for given that our cars were developed around FLA batteries.

Since I'm not a specialty user in any regard I've stayed with regular batteries.

When I install blue undercarriage lights and a stereo which can shatter shoppe windows as I drive by I'll look again into AGM batteries.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post: