View Single Post
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 19:32   #1
capt jack
VOC Member

Default S90 rear suspension upper control arms rusty

I've started to take a closer look at the "new" 1997 S90, and so far so good, until I took a rear wheel off to have a look at the brake pads. The pads are fine, but I'm a bit alarmed at the poor state of the upper wishbone control arm. The car has the IRS with transverse leaf spring set up. I've only looked at the drivers side one, but it is very rusted. The control arm itself is a very substantial forged steel item, so maybe the rust I can see isn't significant.

I've had a look at the various spares websites and no-one appears to stock these arms. I've also googled various combinations of the words "rusty suspension control ams Volvo" and have turned up precisely nothing.

Nothing was mentioned at the car's last MoT in November, and the car has a full main dealer history, so logic would say that if it were a problem then surely it would have been spotted before now.

The last MoT came up with an advisory for a diff oil leak, which in reality is no more than a misting of oil, so the tester must have had his fine-tooth-comb specs on that day.

Also, a couple of weeks ago and just after buying the car, I asked my trusted local garage to change a noisy front drop link. Whilst the car was on the hoist I asked them to check the suspension and steering generally. The only comment was that a front wishbone bush had a tiny split, so again, I have to assume that they were being very thorough.

Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote