View Single Post
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 15:49   #26
100K+
Premier Member

If you can spin your prop shaft when the car is in gear and the rear wheels are on the ground its 95% certain the collar sleeve in the bevel gear into which the drive shaft locates is stripped. I believe sometimes they are not an easy job to remove.
I too am no VIDA expert, being torn between wanting to experiment, but being terrified of screwing something major up.
I suggest as a start looking under Diagnostics/Vehicle Communication. Then selecting the DEM icon in the LH screen. Then Parameters, which will give you a list of options which you can select by clicking and then clicking the "add to list". This then shows real time data for the selected item in the RH screen. Check out Oil pressure + Solenoid current + Pump current + DEM voltage. These parameters should give you enough live data so that you can tell if the item selected is working. There will be differences for example between engine off (ignition at pos 2) and engine at idle or 2000rpm. It is possible to graph the results, so you can see data over a few seconds time period, but when I tried it just confused me.
At the Parameter tab there are additional tabs for Activations or Programmed Values and Advanced. I can't remember what they are about but think they follow the pattern set by the Parameter tab ie select the module icon in the upper LH screen area.
As you say you don't have a DEM specific DTC, Id be reasonably confident that your issue with the AWD was down to the stripped collar sleeve.
One last point I'd make is Haldex oil. Get a couple of litre bottles from Volvo and rotate the contents through the Haldex unit. You have to vacuum pump the contents out, but you'll get the hang. Each time before removing the Oil get a tube and insert it as deep as you can into the Haldex and blow air through the tube. This is to disturb as much crud in the haldex as possible, so that when you drain the oil this crud is taken with it. Store this oil in a glass jar and leave overnight. I had 1" deep crud in a 4" jar for 6 oil changes before I saw any improvement. I recycled the top 3" of oil - I knew it was going to be removed.
I also removed the DEM controller and cleaned the pressure switch and the Solenoid, using a 9v battery to activate it. I think I used petrol to soak the two units, but not 100% sure.- both were full of crud.
Sorry if this has been a bit long winded, but wish you success.

Good luck
Cheers
Bob.
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote