View Single Post
Old Apr 20th, 2015, 16:56   #13
DanielHoward

Default same issue

I have had the message for some time now. The first time I encountered it I had not changed the oil for ages and the car (a D5 engine diesel S60 2006 with 110k miles) lost power on the motorway. In that case the oil was low and so I topped it up. Then my friend changed the oil for me. Then after some months the message started to come back, at first intermittently, one day yes, another no, etc., it resembled the other message for the angle valve DSTC service required which did the same but that one depended more on humidity and weather. So for the past 3 months the message is now PERMANENT. While driving on M40 past Oxford I had a red message regarding coolant low and "stop safely"!!!. I panicked and stopped the car. I was on a level motorway when the message came on so I found this strange. Also the coolant was OK, it tasted sweet and within limits. When that happened I did check the oil, It was higher than maximum. I realize the engine was warm but still it seemed quite higher than maximum some mm. Regardless I bought a bog standard engine coolant and added a fair bit. Drove down to Brighton and back and the red message never came back although engine service required message is still on.

I will change the oil now and tell the man not to put it too high and let us see. Funny how some Volvo dealer told me "it is probably miscommunication between components" That was the Oxford Volvo claiming to have read the thing but not charging me and telling me to come back so they could read it properly (they never read it).

I only post all this because it seems to me that the message on the coolant is compatible with problems with the oil. Coolant and oil work together. I will post again if after the change of oil and lower level of oil the message should go away.

Last edited by DanielHoward; Apr 20th, 2015 at 17:05.
DanielHoward is offline   Reply With Quote