Thread: Handling, 145
View Single Post
Old Oct 27th, 2019, 08:02   #18
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morwenna240 View Post
I was thinking merely that, Volvo being into safety, an car designed for snowy scandi rds, a bigger tyre would have been first choice, hmm?
If that was their thinking, a narrower tyre is generally better on snow than a wide tyre.

My point is that in the mids 60’s a 165 wide tyre was absolutely the norm for a car in the 140’s class. I had mine about 20 years ago and did about 30k miles in a bit less than two years. I put a new set of Goodyear GT 80’s on it to replace the somewhat elderly budget tyres that were on it. They transformed the car.

These days there’s not as good a choice of quality tyres in that size unless you go to the likes of Longstone tyres and buy some period correct rubber. Seeing older cars on the right tyres is a bit of a ‘thing’ for me. I bought a 1969 XJ6 in South Africa a few years ago - it wasn’t just that it was a one lady owner 45k miles manual overdrive car, it was the new set of Dunlop Aquajets in the right ER70 VR 15 size that did it! Another car I should never have sold!

Last edited by eternal optimist; Oct 27th, 2019 at 08:09.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote