View Single Post
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 18:47   #2
canis
Non Fragile

What I've done in the past is disconnect the fuel return pipe at the engine end, attach a hose and run the engine. Everything it doesn't consume will be pumped into a container you've directed the hose at. Half a tank might be pushing your luck with this method though, especially once it gets warm and pumps fuel more frugally.

What I would do is pull out the fuel pump relay:

If you look at the diagram on the relay, the photo isn't too clear, I think it was pins 30 and 87. I doubt I need to tell you how a relay works.

You'll notice it is the pins which are perpendicular to each other.

So you just shove a piece of wire in there and the fuel pump will pump forever!

I don't need to tell you to be careful with petrol. It's, erm, highly inflammable.

This will of course drain the battery, but you can still start the engine. If it's standing you could attach a battery charger while you do it. Or you could connect a pair of jump leads and run your other car to maintain the battery. If you're storing the car for any time you'll need to nurse the battery anyway otherwise it'll die.

The difficult bit will be attaching the pipe, I think. Not done this since pressure fittings became norm. Usually it was simply a case of undoing a jubilee clip. I'll leave your engineering skills to that test. :-)
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to canis For This Useful Post: