View Single Post
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 20:37   #4
dcw
VOC Member

Really does depend what you want it for.

For obvious reasons we have had and then abandoned C70s as main cars in the past - that's two Mk1s and a Mk2. The Mark 2 is a much better car in all senses in my view - it doesn't shake anywhere near as much and is a much tighter drive (although it's no sports car even so).

I now have another Mk1 C70 Collection, which I bought in September as a fun sunshine car/project/ available second car when needed.

Yes, it shakes, rattles and wallows. Yes, with the 2.0T engine in it you need to give it some welly if you want it to accelerate from a start at anything like a rapid pace. Yes, it drinks fuel (mainly because it is so heavy). Yes, the boot is impractical (but better than the Mk2 with the roof down since at least you still have a boot...). Yes, it has the turning circle of your average oil tanker, and is a pig to park with the roof up due to poor visbility.

However, it is well put together, has no rust despite being 14 years old now, the 5 cylinder engine sounds lovely, it is extremely comfortable, it is great with the roof down, and it still looks - IMHO anyway - a stylish car. As you have probably gathered, with all its faults I really am very fond of it!

In summary, I would say if you want a nice weekend cruiser you can pick up a good one for peanuts with the C70. To get a bit more power, go for the T5 but still don't expect something that will keep up with a Typhoon! But if you want something that will give you primarily a good driving experience, especially if you have the sort of things in mind you say, then I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

David
1994 480 GT and 2007 V50 SE Sport
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dcw For This Useful Post: