View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2015, 16:48   #15
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Thought I'd follow up on this project.

As my welding attempts of the past look like it was done by a blind man hanging upside down from a camel, at night, I elected to stick with what I'm used to, good old timber, 2x2 sawn with eased edges is what I chose to use, relitevely cheap and strong enough, I'm not planning on carrying a tonne of sand or anything like that on it so it should be tough enough.

The length that the original caravan floor would have been is 3.2m exactly, and to keep a sensible clearance from the inside of the wheels the width worked out at 1.6m, perfect.

The a frame tapers slightly all the way to the back and came up about 1.7m and the rearmost end so I cut a small slit in both sides and pulled it in square so its 1.6, then bolted the pre constructed frame down, I'll see if the guy over the road will weld along the cut for me so it's nice and strong, I may also get a piece of 2 inch box and get that welded between the 2 arms at the back as well for extra rigidity.

I then realised that in order for my floor to have somewhere to bear down on round the edges ill need to lay the floor on first, then put the sides on afterwards, that'll be 2x2 again and lined inside and out with half inch ply, hmm, the floor...

I originally wanted to use marine ply, but that can be upwards of 100 quid a sheet for the 3/4 inch stuff, and I'll need 3 sheets, bugger that, so now I'm considering using scaffold boards as they're solid timber and 1 1/2 inches thick so strength shouldn't be a problem, and will also work out much more cost effective as well, although I have set out the frame gaps to be 1220mm apart to suit plywood sizes, so I may add a few more cross braces, there is also an extra piece that I'm going to run down the middle from front to back and half lap in as well.

So once I get the boards ill creosote them and the frame so far, fix the floor down and then I'm going to flip it upside down and Shultz/stone guard the whole thing, as I am informed that it's very durable and also sticks to pretty much any material, then it's time for the rest of it to take shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (236.9 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by clarkey1984; May 2nd, 2015 at 16:53.
clarkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clarkey1984 For This Useful Post: