View Single Post
Old Nov 29th, 2017, 21:35   #1664
Goose77

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigv60 View Post
Good news about the EGR.

I doubt that the wrong oil will actually damage anything. However, it may throw up odd / unusual readings from the electronic dipstick (which you experienced), as Volvo is careful to specify a special 0W20 ultra-low friction oil, and the sensors in the engine that read oil quality etc will be designed with the viscosity and flow characteristics of this oil in mind.

I have no idea what type of oil Honda specifies for its diesel engines but I doubt it's 0W20 grade. It's worth giving the Honda dealer you bought the car from a grilling on this, after all they've not had to do anything to help you with the EGR fix.

I would get them to confirm to you - in writing - that they used oil and filter to Volvo's spec.
Update:

Volvo carried out the work (EGR unit and hoses replacement) approx 1 month out of manufacturer warranty. I've had the car back for around 2 weeks so it's early days but all seems well so far.

A couple of points to note - the car drives with no noticeable driving performance difference in comparison to before the work was carried out. However, the MPG seems a little lower but I'm stuck in traffic a lot in the short time since the fix.

The burning/diesel smell in the cabin that I mentioned in earlier posts has became worse, it seems to be at it's strongest in the rear of the vehicle. I've contacted Volvo and they want to take a look. I noticed today that the cabin heater was not able to give out very hot air when at it's maximum setting, this is making me think the smell may be related to a heater core issue. Any thoughts on this would be most welcome.

Regards
Goose77 is offline   Reply With Quote