View Single Post
Old Jun 19th, 2023, 11:05   #3
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Hi Alan,

By the looks of the ads, it would appear as though you're having a clear out of all your accumulated 'could come in handy' spares.

I'd seriously think about taking them with you though, just in case a 240 project arises once down in Somerset.😀😀

However, I'd perhaps like to get provisional first dibs on the screen surround, as I'm pretty certain I've read somewhere on here that 240/140 screens are the same. As you know, I'm due to pick up a rather ropey 140 on Wednesday and if it turns out your surround would be a match, then I'll have it please.

I will try to match up photos to the actual car on Wednesday, and if looking a possible match, I could always wend my way back to Suffolk via Corby to collect??

I'd always thought 140's had old fashioned rubber/mastic sealer, and 240's had bonded, but I may very well be mistaken......😀

Cheers
Steve
I think you are right Steve: someone told me (or I read it) that 140 and 240 screens are the same. The later 240 screens had a broad rubber seal without the metal part, earlier ones (up to about 1986 I think) use the type I have. This is the later on (from the RB, obviously it had been swapped sometime):

... and this is the earlier one (from the Barge - probably original):

... I prefer the aesthetic of the earlier one, but the later seals better.

You are of course welcome to the surround and the fitting clips. I'll put them aside for you - just give me a call if you want to drop in to collect and I'll have the kettle on.