Thread: Engine: 70 T5: - Timing belt has shrunk...?
View Single Post
Old Mar 27th, 2020, 15:04   #1
Distendo

Default Timing belt has shrunk...?

Had the cylinder head off my '98 V70 T5, and put it back on again.

What's holding up completing the job is that when I came to fit the timing belt back over the camshaft sprockets, it won't fit, as though it needs to be about 1 cm / 0.5" longer...

I'd arranged to ship the entire car over to my friendly Volvo indie so he could sort it, but he's just this week closed down, like most of Britain, due to the plague.

When I removed the timing belt from the camshaft sprockets I just pushed it to the side (I didn't remove it from the crankshaft) and left it undisturbed. It's as though I haven't bolted the cylinder head down completely (afaik, I have) and it's raised a little (on the exhaust side) - or the timing belt has mysteriously shrunk.

When I removed it, it was certainly under tension: it didn't exactly slip off. But it looks like I'd need to crowbar (or screwdriver) the belt back over the exhaust cog (I have loosened the tensioner, btw), and I'm not sure it should take that amount of leverage (?).

I was wondering whether the belt has managed to come away from the crankshaft sprockets and is sitting proud (tooth to tooth, notch to notch). One of the reasons I don't know for sure is the awkwardness of getting to that sprocket, or even seeing it, from above. What I can see looks ok.

I haven't turned the crank over since beginning the job. The crank sprocket's positioning marks are very difficult to see with 22 years of crud on them, and I'd like to be able to clean it up somehow to check before (if ever) I fire the thing up again.

I was thinking that I should remove the serpentine belt tensioner for a better view of the crank pulley, and for access, but haven't seen that mentioned in any diy explanations (although Robert DIY's video seems to have views only possible if that were done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpNgDfvRcVI).

Anyway, if anyone's got any bright ideas or similar experience, I'd be delighted to know about it.