View Single Post
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 22:40   #5
BrianH
VOC Member

Default BrianH

200k miles on LPG

My 245 GL was converted in 2001 at about 150k through an VOC advert.
At £1254 it was a good investment as it paid for itself in 22 months.
Although I lost the space to load 6' items, washing machines would still load into the estate boot after a 100ltr gas tank was installed. This gives 350mls.

The cost from installation was 42ppl (pence per litre) for gas to cheapest in Bristol at 29ppl and currently locally at 58ppl. This can be max. locally at 70ppl and recently on holiday in Southern Ireland (towing) at 80ppl. Gas up to Aberdeen OK. Gas down to Italy OK, but you need two adaptors. Could'nt figure out Swiss adaptors though.

Checked the engine cylinder pressures at 350k and they were in spec.
I do use a very high specification Amsoil 2000 Series oil with bypass filtration though, which I sample every 6 months and send it off to the lab for analysis. 6k per ltr useage. No problem with valve clearance or adustments.

Extrapulating the pot pressures on a graph may give 840k???

Problems include knowing where your gas stations are (not advertised in Ireland, look for the gas tanks in passing stations, except one on the Ring of Kerry). There is a Dutch book, mine is in Dutch, which shows all European stations. UK stations can be down loaded on to your Satnav.

The simple gas vapourisers can be overalled with new gaskets and 'o' ring seals quite easily when required, say 5/6 years for about £30.

Main problem is the occasional erratic idle, 500 to 1000 rpm??? Stalling sometimes??? Back-fire blows up the plastic inlet system, you must use 3 prong cooler plugs (turbo spec). All electrical ignition systems must be pristine. Or you could install a back-fire valve to relieve the pressure.

BrianH
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote