View Single Post
Old Jan 23rd, 2016, 21:22   #1
leenineplus

Default Awd useless. Waste of time. Why did i bother!

Just for information or wheel tyre help.

I went out in the snow last week and very disappointed with the XC60 AWD. I have never had a 4x4 before and thought this time it would help with the bad snow and winters I get being 1200ft above sea level. How wrong I was.

The grip is shi-e and skidding everywhere.

I have run winter tyres on cars for 15 years around here and never had a problem like I have in the Volvo. I always wondered why I overtook 4x4 cars going up hills, around corners and never struggled .

My theory is now correct. Its all in the tyres. Do not waste your money getting a 4x4. Just get a front 2 wheel drive car and get a set of spare wheels with winter tyres. A 4x4 is only worth getting for going off road and up bad tracks.
A pointless vehicle really for my use as I don't drive across fields or on dirt tracks. Steep hills I do yes but this Volvo couldn't even handle them in the snow. I parked the car up and used our Zafira and Pug RCZ which have winter tyres and wheels on.

I'm now looking at either getting a set of 16" steel wheels with 215/65/16 tyres or a set of 18/19/20" wheels with winter tyres on for between Dec to April like I do with my other cars we run on winter tyres. Tyreleader and mytyres do all the steel and alloy wheels with a great range of winter tyres.

Anyone else run winter tyres or have a view?

Last edited by leenineplus; Jan 23rd, 2016 at 21:24. Reason: spelling
leenineplus is offline   Reply With Quote