View Single Post
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 03:09   #80
blueosprey90
Master Member

Over the last few weeks, the ball & socket gas pedal has been reinstalled. It just presses onto one spherical ball at the top and two at the bottom. Under the car, the emergency brake cable has been reinstalled as well as the dimmer switch casing. The emergency brake has too much slack, but I didn’t see how I could tighten the cable up. Makes me wonder how much the rear brake pads are worn.

Took the opportunity to grease the brake & clutch pedal pivots and the left front wheel suspension components. Sixty years of dirt encrusted grease scraped off the suspension components!

Test fit the kick panels and tried to figure out how to attach. Most likely, I’ll just screw them on. Can’t see how the original panels were attached. The metal here and up under the dash is pretty rusty. Sent off for some rust converter and rust encapsulator paints. Not sure if I will actually paint because it looks like it will be a very messy endeavor.

Wanted to go to the fabric store tonight to see if I could get some padding with which to refurbish my passenger seat but arrived home from work too late.

So with an evening on my hands, I undertook the shift tower challenge. Mission creep at its best.

The shift tower hole in the transmission tunnel looked like it had been stuffed with foam or rags to keep oil and fumes from entering the cabin. It also had a cut and some damage on the right side.

Not only did the material looked oil soaked, but it was clear from oily deposits in the cabin and on the carpet that it didn’t exactly work. I removed the shift tower cover piece and then the material. Essentially, it was just a rag ultimately wrapped with medical gauze and then some sort of tape.

The hole in the shift tower piece was a bit mutilated, and the whole piece, top and bottom was covered in sludge.

The transmission is not stock. Not that I know what they mean, a plate under (above) the transmission mount support indicates that the transmission is a Type M-3, Det Nr 254160 and Tillv Nr 1450. The transmission is marked #656552 on top, and has castings on the driver’s side, “Kobing Sweeden”.

My plan is to close up the big hole in the transmission tower piece. Initially I thought I might flatten it out and then weld a new circular piece on to close the hole. But now, I’m thinking it would be much easier and faster for me just to fiberglass down the size of the hole.

There is what I assume to be an oil fill hole at the rear of the transmission. What is the procedure with this?

Last edited by blueosprey90; Nov 2nd, 2018 at 03:12.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote