View Single Post
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 16:09   #1
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Default V40 1.6 manual won't start - help / suggestions requested

Situation:
I went outside around 6 am this morning to start my V40 1.6 manual. Battery was turning it over a little slower than usual (normally starts first time on key even at 2 am in the cold) so I took battery out, put in on charger and went into work.

Came home this afternoon & battery charger showed it as charged up so I put back on car. Car now cranks nice'n'fast but won't fire.

No warning lights, no immobiliser etc coming on when cranking over.

Having read a comment on here I've just gone out and watched the rev counter whilst cranking the engine & the needle doesn't rise from the zero position, but I'm not sure if that's normal or indicative of a possible crank or cam position sensor playing up?

A few more observations:

(1) Last night I'd started up and moved the car a couple of feet for a neighbour to let them park up & I wondered if I'd got 'bore wash' from that, as I had once with my 850, so I pulled 2 of the plugs & both were 'normal', ie not really oily & definitely NOT wet. Also, when I pulled the 2 plugs the bores didn't smell of petrol which perhaps suggests fuel's the issue more than electrical?

(2) In the last few weeks there's been a some times when she's not fired straight away, which might possibly indicate a sensor going out, or the fuel's not getting primed into the system? On those times, however, once she's caught (just 3-4 sec longer than usual) she's carried on perfectly ok.

(3) Also, the CEL has been on for about 3+ months now. I'd purchased a reader but discovered that this car's of the age which means it won't show error codes. Since the first CEL came on I've not noticed any change to the way it drives, so it might not relate to what's caused this?

I'm reading through old posts on here whilst writing this and so I may dig up an answer but I'd appreciate any tips or suggestions.

I'll also try cranking it again then pull a plug to confirm it's wet & fuel's getting through.

In the meantime, any thoughts anyone?

Tips or suggestions appreciated as we're meant to be taking the kids to places in the next few days and a non-running car isn't going to keep me in the wife's good books!

Thanks.